Wednesday 28 July 2010

Cheers Mate!

I will never understand, nor  condone, the use of the word "cheers" instead of "thank you"! Where did this stem from? Who started it? And is there no way to stop it????

This fair land of ours was once home to King Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table. It's the birthplace of Chivalry, for God's sake! How have we fallen so low?!?!

While I have to admit that, being a Portsmouthian, I am, on occasion, prone to using "Pompey slang" such as, greeting others with "A'right!" when what I actually mean is "Hello, how are you?", but, when I want to show my appreciation to someone for some service rendered, I make a point of saying "Thank you!". Call me old-fashioned, but to me "cheers, mate" seems mightily insufficient - almost an insult!

Of course, my aversion to the term stems from something (or someone) from my past. I had a friend, for want of a better word, who would ask me to babysit for her, knowing I had no life of my own, and also knowing that, not only would I agree, but that I wouldn't charge for my services! All I had in payment was - you guessed it - "Cheers, mate!". Oh, she had my number alright - it might just as well have been 118 118 - you'll find me under M for "mug!

Anyway, this went on for quite a long time. She'd go out enjoying herself, leaving me in charge of, not only my own child, but her brood as well - and, sometimes, the child of one of her other friends!!!! When she came home, she'd crow about how much she'd spent at the bar, and how much her husband had lost or won on the machines - and there was never a mention of payment for the mere fact of enabling them to have such a good time!

Things came to a head one day, however, when I was coming home from work. As I was walking up our street, I saw her a little way ahead of me. She was telling her oldest child something and then she went indoors, leaving her little girl standing, waiting, by the kerb opposite my house. As I reached my gate, she then shouted at me "You've got to look after me and my brother, cos  mummy's got to take the baby to the doctor's!"

Reader, I saw red!!! But you'll be glad to know that no blood was spilled - no murder committed! I just calmly walked across to my friend and told her that it wasn't convenient, that I had other things to do! I bit back an apology - she didn't deserve one! Oh, how I enjoyed the shocked look on her face! The worm had finally turned! Hoo-bloody-ray!

Our friendship wasn't the same after that! Such a pity - for her, anyway!

I've learned my lesson! From now on I have a new motto - Champagne for my real friends, real pain for my sham friends!

Well, I'll sign off now. I'm sure I've bored you all enough for one day.

Till next time - Cheers, me dears! - er, I mean, thank you for joining me on my somewhat verbose ramblings!!!!

Dawn 8-D xxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment